Muhammad Murad Iqbal
This document explains how to set up IIS to cooperate with Tomcat. Normally IIS can not execute Servlets and Java Server Pages (JSPs), configuring IIS to use the Tomcat redirector plug-in will let IIS send servlet and JSP requests to Tomcat (and this way, serves them to clients).
Following software is required to be installed on the target machine:
· Tomcat 4.1.x web server should be installed and CATALINA_HOME system variable should be pointing to the directory of Tomcat’s installation. For example:
Variable name = CATALINA_HOME
Variable value = D:\java\Tomcat4.1
Visit the following URL to download Tomcat 4.1.29 in zip format
OR visit any of the following URLs for more information on Tomcat
· Java 2 SDK should be installed and JAVA_HOME system variable should be pointing to the directory of the SDK installation. For example:
Variable name = JAVA_HOME
Variable value = D:\java\j2sdk1.4.2
Visit the following URL to download J2 SDK version 1.4.2
· Two files named ‘worker.properties’ and ‘uriworkermap.properties’ accompanied with this document are required to be placed under ‘conf’ directory located under Tomcat root i.e. CATALINA_HOME.
All configuration files can be found at the following URL:
· Another file named ‘isapi_redirect.dll’ accompanied with this document is required to be placed under CATALINA_HOME\bin\win32\i386. Note that the win32 and i386 folders may not be already there under CATALINA_HOME\bin directory. If this is the case, you will be required to take the effort of creating them. Therefore, the exact path of the .dll file on your machine may be something like:
· An optional file named ‘tomcat_iis_connector.reg’ is accompanied with this document. You will have to use this file if in case you do not want to do the entries in the registry manually. However, it is recommended that you use this file as it will save time. You will have to open this file in an editor and do some parameter changes later on in the coming section.
It is assumed that Windows 2000 Server is installed on your machine. Normally IIS is installed with Windows 2000 Server, so you don’t have to worry about its installation. If you are using Windows 2000 Professional or an earlier version of Windows like 98/XP, insert your Windows CD in the CD-Drive, click on ‘Add/Remove Windows Components’ option under ‘Add/Remove Programs’ in the Windows Control Panel and check for ‘Internet Information Services’ or ‘IIS’ to install on your machine.
That’s all you need. You may now proceed to the next section.
There are some keys that are required to be added in the registry. It is recommended that you use the ‘tomcat_iis_connector.reg’ file to automate the process. You may alternatively enter the Keys, String and data manually in the registry by using the ‘Registry Editor’ tool.
If you are using the file to automate the insertion of registry entries, open the ‘tomcat_iis_connector.reg’ file an a text editor e.g. Notepad and change the data for ‘log_file’, ‘worker_file’ and ‘worker_mount_file’ by typing in appropriate path till your Tomcat web server installation directory.
For example, you may want to change
If your Tomcat is installed under D:\JavaPkgs\Tomcat4.1.2
If you are doing it manually, click on Start and then Run. Type ‘regedit’ and then click OK to open the Registry Editor. You may now provide the entries in the ‘tomcat_iis_connector.reg’ to the Registry Editor by creating appropriate Keys, Strings and providing Data to those Strings accordingly.
You are now required to configure IIS so that it can use the Jakarta ISAPI Redirector i.e. the ‘isapi_redirect.dll’ file. This is a two step process
Add a virtual directory named ‘
added a virtual directory named ‘
Add an ISAPI Filter: Right click on the website where you have just added the
virtual directory and click on Properties, ISAPI Filters and then Add. You can
give an appropriate name in the Filter Name column, I have given
That’s it. The status of the ISAPI Filter should be appearing in green color with the arrow pointing up. Your configuration is all set to be used for IIS to Tomcat redirection. You can now check the redirection is working by accessing the following URL:
If this is not the case, refer to the Troubleshooting section to resolve the problem.
If the above are set correctly, the ISAPI redirector should be able to create the log file.
If the above are set correctly, the green upward-pointing arrow should appear, even if the other settings are wrong.
If the above settings are correct, the index.html page should appear in your browser. You should also be able to click the Execute links to execute the JSP examples.